Skip to main content

Final Paintings + Proposals

I am publishing this page from SA 121 Painting Blog, as it also pertains to the Intermediate Students.
If you haven't done so already, please send me your final proposals for your final works.
Thank you. Pepper

GOALS
Each of you have gained much painting experience of SA 121.  So this is where you really can show your talents, what you've learned, and where you wish to direct your time in subject matter and application.  

You have experienced basic studio practice of observational painting, to abstraction, and a variety of applications you have practiced in color temperature, color saturation, stains, impastos, using simple forms in space, as well as still lifes of your own making, all the way through to abstract measures. In addition, each of you have considered structure and color within your compositions. 

Each student in SA121 will create a self directed final project. 
Think back to all that has been learned and experience in SA 121 and select a variety of things within your group of three paintings. A group like this is called a triptych

Your project will consist of three separate canvases and should show an evolution of growth from the previous canvas.  

Proposals will be due Tuesday of Week #13 (sooner the better) and need to include as many details as possible, including scale, materials, application, 3 inspirational photos, and three pencil sketches. These can be delivered to me via an email.  I will respond back to you with as much information as possible from what you've given me. Thus, the more you give me, the more I can give you in response. 

Students will post their works in progress onto the FB Group Site, as well as the completed paintings.

As the culminating activity in SA121, you need to show commitment, thinking, composition and painting interest!   
In other words, this is where you should be showing off!
The trio of paintings will be the subject matter for our final critique during Finals' week (TBD, date to be determined).

This video shows you some interesting mixed media techniques I bet many of you would be interested in. Check it out!

Video: Mixed Media Impasto techniques

STUDENT PROPOSALS:

Airelle Jacquette
Pepper
SA-121
April  15, 2020

Final Project 
For my final painting, I was thinking about combining a splatter paint method and a palette knife method. For my three paintings, I was thinking about taking butterflies and flowers and constructing them with the palette knife method and having the background have one solid color with another color of splatter paint to create movement throughout the whole paintings. Each painting will have one butterfly with flowers, each butterfly will be a different color with different color flowers, and each painting will have a splatter paint background. 

This sounds great Airelle —
I want to see how you progress from #1 painting, to #2 and onto #3.
You should be able to show the things you learned in the previous work evolving.  This is your final project, so all efforts need to be taken here! 
I also want you to be able to look at butterflies, so you can take the color nuances their bodies have. You will be able to obtain photographs from the internet easily / and flowers. Truth is much stronger than fiction. For your back ground I want you to consider cool colors, however not one over all tone.  This should be the same in your splatter, it should be multiple colors.  Otherwise, it will make the painting have no depth or space.  Make sure you practice with the splattering before you actually due it.
What tool will you use? A toothbrush through a window screen is always good.
Think about the scale of the splatters.  Show me some images of who you are being inspired by please. JEP

palette knife butterflies... a video  > Airelle, I am wondering if you mashed to canvases together from the final of this video what would happen. I think the color transitions would be effective and smoother!  Try it!

Here are some inspirational images





Jordan Thornton
SA 321-Intermediate Painting Proposal #4
Professor Pepper
April 2020

                  During this course; SA 321- Intermediate Painting, I would like to use acrylic paint as my medium. The painting will be 15x16 like my other 3 works. Along with my previous paintings (water landscape, flower pot, and the mountain/rock landscape) I want to create a work and add related 3D objects on the outside of the work. My next idea will be of vegetables in a kitchen setting. This will include leafy greens on the outside of the work. 
               I will still be using color theory and will be striving for highly saturated colors. I would like my painting to mainly be about color! I will be using impressionist artist and post impressionist artist for reference. Also using many references to draw the vegetables and then use real and imaginary color to create my work. I would also like to ensure my 3D items, visually make sense on why they are coming out of the particular painting. Also, as much as I can I would like to add acrylic to the 3D items I use. For example I have added little colors and details to my artificial flowers with acrylic paint. For this current project I would add value to the leafy greens to make it visually look together and unified. 

Jordan —-
Thanks for sending this!
I am curious how many finished paintings are you planning that you have accomplished in SA 321? Please let me know, I am a bit confused with that part.  How large will this last trio be?  As for the new vegetable painting — I really want you to look at Manet’s fruits and veggie paintings in addition to Impressionistand Post Imp. I also want you to do some sketching - either in pencil or charcoal - while looking observationally at the actual objects.  This way they will visually look richer, each more unique, have dimension,  value, color saturation and de-saturation, etc. rather than appearing  flat as previous works. Please add a light source to the still life you are looking at. That way you can really see the warm and cool shadows.  I have added some images that I  hope will be inspirational. 








Popular posts from this blog

A Day that is GOLDEN

The students of SA121 and SA321 have been invited to visit the Golden Artist Paint factory located in New Berlin, NY.  We will leave the at 9:00 on a Tuesday or Thursday, date to be determined.   There we will visit the factory, the Sam & Adele Golden Gallery, and in particular work with Golden Artist Educators to learn about their paints and in particular GOLDEN mediums.   We will be traveling an hour each way and will spend approximately three hours on site.  Prior to our journey, students need to okay this with their other professors of any classes they may be missing.    Here's a LINK to discover more things:    Have yourself a Golden Day

Great images to SHARE to remind YOU of something very important!!

BLUE SKIES...   oh, yes, indeed! Here are a few captured moments that I want to share with each of you, reminding all of us there are many, many individuals who care about each of us while we  shelter in place. Let's play this gesture forward.  Your job is this:  Make a textual sign of your wishes for others. Go to three interesting locations and take your image message. Send me a jpg at  jpepper@cazenovia.edu You may also use any other type of visual text you wish to include... Thank you one and all!!

04.16.2020 Note to ALL STUDENTS from Dean Dettmer

Dettmer, Sharon Thu 4/16/2020 10:01 AM      All Students;  All Faculty  Dear Students, Due to the interruption and changes caused by the COVID-19 virus, Cazenovia College has expanded the undergraduate grading policy for spring 2020 semester.  This grading policy only refers to all grades received in courses taken during the Spring 2020 Semester.  Please read the entire email carefully so you understand the new grading options. All students need to consult with their advisor to help answer any questions.  Grading Process for Spring Semester 2020 Faculty will assign a letter grade for all courses.  May 13: students may access grades in Self-Service.  After seeing your grades, you may choose to convert any or all grades to ‘ P’  for  PASS if the grade is an A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D.  A final grade of F for any course will be converted to  NP, which is   NO PASS .  The online  P/PN form , availabl